I had an interesting time researching this piece on legendary Cosmopolitan editor Helen Gurley Brown for The Tubridy Show (presented by Dave Fanning) earlier today.
As a feminist myself I find HGB pretty fascinating. She seemed to be determined, outrageous, fun and fearless… but a feminist? Well, I think so. There are schools of feminism and hers was both sex-positive and particularly focused on using men to achieve what you want… even if that was, well, a man.
Have a listen here and let me know what you think.
- Death of an Editor: Vale Helen Gurley Brown (psychedelichippiefashion.blogspot.com)
- Helen Gurley Brown, Fun, Fearless and Iconic Cosmopolitan Editor, Dead at 90 [Rip] (jezebel.com)
- Helen Gurley Brown’s 10 Most ‘Fun and Fearless’ Quotes (self.com)
- Helen Gurley Brown, Post-Feminist It Girl (psychologytoday.com)
- Screw’s Former Editor-in-Chief – In Praise of Helen Gurley Brown (observer.com)